The Indian Premier League (IPL) has given many cricketers of the country a platform to showcase their talent. Due to which many cricketers have gained fame in the country by introducing their game. Such a talented player is Surya Kumar Yadav, he is a right handed batsman. He has earned fame in the country with his brilliant performance in domestic cricket and IPL. He is known for his signature shot ‘Sweep Shot’. He has the ability to hit deep square leg sixes against fast bowlers.
Short Introduction of Surya Kumar Yadav
Surya Kumar Yadav was born on 14 September 1990 in the city of Mumbai. Born in a middle-class family, Surya Kumar has been interested in cricket and badminton since childhood, but he chose cricket. He completed his schooling at Atomic Energy Kendriya Vidyalaya, Mumbai and completed his B.Com in Commerce from Pillai College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Mumbai. He started playing cricket in the school team from his school days.
Surya Kumar Yadav’s father Ashok Kumar Yadav is an engineer in BARC. Surya Kumar is the only child of his parents. They are very fond of tattooing. Due to his inclination towards cricket, he started learning cricket from his childhood, his uncle Vinod Kumar Yadav became his first coach, he received initial cricket coaching from his uncle.
On 7 July 2016 in Mumbai, Surya Kumar got married to Devisha Shetty, Devisha is a dancer. Suryakumar married his wife Devisha for the first time in 2012. They met in Podar College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai. Devisha was very impressed by Suryakumar’s batting, while Suryakumar was impressed by Devisha’s dancing.
Surya Kumar Yadav’s domestic cricket career
Surya Kumar started his cricket career from 2010, in 2010 he scored 73 runs off 89 balls against Delhi while playing for Mumbai in the first class season.
- He played his first List-A match for his home state Mumbai in the Vijay Hazare Trophy on 11 February 2010. In this match against Gujarat he scored 41 runs off 37 balls and made the second highest score of the match.
- In 2010, he made his T-20 debut in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy.
- In the year 2010-11 season he scored more than 1000 runs at the Under-22 level and won the MA Chidambaram Trophy.
- In the year 2011-12, Surya Kumar Yadav was selected for the Ranji Trophy, in this season he scored a double century against Odisha and scored the highest 754 runs in 9 matches in the Ranji Trophy.
Surya Kumar’s IPL Career
In the year 2012, Surya Kumar Yadav was bought by Mumbai Indians in IPL. But he rarely got a chance to play this season as he was overwhelmed by the presence of veteran players like Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, Mahela Jayawardene and Kieron Pollard in the team order. From 2012 to 2013, he was part of the Mumbai Indians team.
In the 2014 IPL auction, Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) included young talent Surya Kumar Yadav in their team. While being a part of the team of Kolkata (KKR), he played an innings of 98 by hitting 5 sixes in 20 balls against Mumbai Indians in a match in the season of 2015 and gave victory to his team due to which he got a lot of fame.
Seeing the brilliant performance of Surya Kumar, in the year 2018 again, Mumbai Indians bought him for a huge amount of 3.2 crores. Being a part of the Mumbai Indians team, he played 16 matches in the IPL 2019 season and scored 424 runs at an average of 32.61. He is expected to perform brilliantly in the IPL 2020 season as well.
Surya Kumar Yadav became the Indian batsman who scored the most runs in the 20th over
Surya Kumar Yadav made a big record by scoring 26 runs in the 20th over against Hong Kong in the recently held Asia Cup. This is the highest score by any Indian batsman in the 20th over. Surya Kumar Yadav hit 4 sixes including a hat-trick in this over. Actually, this record was previously held by Deepak Chahar. Deepak Chahar scored 19 runs in the 20th over. At the same time, Surya Kumar Yadav has scored 19 runs once in the last over.
Surya Kumar Yadav Unknown Facts
- Surya Kumar Yadav does not smoke
- His uncle, Vinod Yadav, was his first cricket coach.
- He was 10 years old when his family shifted from Varanasi to Mumbai. In the same year, he started playing cricket for his school team.
- On his debut for Mumbai in the first-class season against Delhi in 2010, he scored 73 off 89 balls.
- He is known for his signature Sweep Shot which he plays to hit deep square leg for a six against fast bowlers.
- He is an animal and bird lover.
- He resigned as Mumbai Ranji captain due to his attitude.
- He is a huge fan of comedy films and has seen Hera Pheri’ (2000) more than 500 times.
- If Surya Kumar was not a cricketer, he would be a pilot today.